This is a bit better. On the surface, these two cards look almost identical. However, focus on the snowflakes for just a bit. Do you notice any difference in the colors?
Okay, get to the point, Emily!
Water coloring has been popular for a while now. In particular on card elements. Every so often, I read about people using Shimmery White Card Stock (Annual Catalog, p. 194) with this technique. Some of the cards I've seen uses die-cut Shimmery White Card Stock that has been water colored. I've noticed, however, that even though Watercolor Paper exists, I rarely see people using it die-cut. Hmmmm...I wonder why? In true Paper Curiosities fashion, I decided it was time to test it out.
So, I assembled some paper and dies and started cutting. Here's the process I went through and what I discovered. Then I'll let you know which card uses which paper.
First the Dies un-colored:
Here's the Watercolor paper. I believe that the Stampin' Up! Watercolor paper is 120 pound. Thicker than the usual 80 pound. I expected it to be harder to die cut, but it worked fine.
Next, I used an aqua painter to wet the snowflake first and then some of our classic ink in Soft Sky, Island Indigo, and Night of Navy to color each. This is what the watercolor paper looked like when it dried:
These took a bit to dry so I left them sit while I turned my attention to the Shimmer White Card Stock.
Here are the Shimmery White snowflakes. These were a bit more difficult to cut out, believe it or not. The cardstock has a slight coating to it that gives it the shimmer when you move it around in the light. Almost like there's glitter in there. Really fine glitter, that is.
I followed the same process with the Aqua Painter and the same inks as the first time.
Here's the result.
I set these aside to dry. Already, I could notice a difference in the color. Interesting!
This is what they look like after they dry. The Watercolor paper is on top. Notice that the color is a bit darker. While these dried a bit longer, I prepared the cards: Here's what I used in case you're interested in the entire card. Then I'll give you the reveal!
Stamps: Work of Art, Colorful Season
Ink: Night of Navy, Island Indigo, Soft Sky
Paper: Whisper White, Island Indigo, Soft Sky, Watercolor Paper, Shimmer White Card Stock
Accessories: Big Shot, Seasonal Layers Thinlits, Aqua Painters, Metallic Enamel Shapes, 5/8" Crinkled Seam Binding in Night of Navy, Stampin' Dimensionals, Mini Glue Dots
Big reveal time: Here they are
This card has the Water Color Paper snowflakes.

And this one is the Shimmery White. Not a lot of difference between them, is there?
The biggest difference is the subtler color of the Shimmery White and the hint of shine when you rotate it to catch the light. The Watercolor paper gives a more saturated color and has a more natural texture. I can't quite convey that with my pictures. So, try it out for yourself and see what differences you find. I actually liked both as options for making watercolored elements for these cards. Hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for visiting. See you next week!








No comments:
Post a Comment